Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"One Tough Cookie"

Kendal's Last week with the Cast

Maybe it is because she is young and doesn't know that when you are hurt you have the "right" to complain or maybe it is because she is just one tough girl, but I have to give my 4-year old Kendal some props. For the last 5 weeks she has endured having a broken arm. For four of those weeks she was stuck with a full arm cast that was not waterproof. Despite our best efforts to protect the cast from getting wet, almost everytime she tried to swim it still got wet. So for the last 3 weeks that she had her cast on, she decided that she would stay in and watch the movie "Underdog" while her family swam. Not once did Kendal complain about not being able to swim. In fact I was beginning to wonder if watching "Underdog" was really more exciting to her than swimming. However, I quickly realized that she still loves swimming and that sitting out a couple of weeks was just part of having a broken arm. The first day she got her cast off she was so excited to go swimming, that she actually asked to go twice that day. Of course I said yes, because I was excited for her too. After going to the orthopedist last week, the bones looked like they were healing well enough that she was able to return home with just a removable brace that she is supposed to wear for the next 4 weeks. She has been very good about keeping her brace on and is still very careful with her arm. However, slowly but surely she is trying new things with her hurt arm. Given the two cast we have endured this summer, I have to say I have been very lucky. Both Trey and Kendal were champs about having their casts and neither of them EVER complained!

Kendal with only a BRACE!

2 comments:

Vanessa Shannon said...

I hope this is the last of your kids' broken bones. I cant believe she didnt complain...what a brave girl!

Doreen Griffeth said...

She's a trooper! What a girl!
Love,
MOM G