Sunday, May 11, 2008

You Know Your a Mom When....

We planted tomatoes for Family Night last week in our homemade garden box



Bayley our Biker Girl

Kendal and her friend Ali preparing for the race

Trey loved the cake Leigh made for Spencer's dedication luncheon

My friend Lisa had a post entitled "You Know Your a Mom When..." a couple of weeks ago and after reading her post and the comments from her post I decided to steal the idea for my Mother's Day Post. Before I was a Mom there were a million times that I saw Mom's do something gross or let their kid do something obnoxious or crazy and I would say those famous last words of "I will never do or let my kid do that". Well, now that I have 3 kids and a little bit of experience in parenting, I have to say that I have eaten my words about a million times over! One of my favorite "you know your a Mom when..." moments has to be when I am forced to use my own hand to wipe one of my children's snotty noses because there are ZERO Kleenexes around...and guess what I don't even dry heave anymore as I do it! How about those times that I let me children get away with murder just to keep them quiet or behaving during a social outing...you know kids can sense these moments! I have been blessed with 3 wonderful children and I love my FULL time job of MOTHER. I have to say that I have some great women who I seek to model...my own mother, mother-in-law, sister-in-laws, grandmothers, aunts, and friends. Thanks to all of you who make me want to be better for my own children. Now, I would love to hear some of your "you know your a mom when..." moments.



Blogging has not been a priority the last couple of weeks. I feel like I have missed chronicling a chunk of our lives, but at this point I will just have to give a brief synopsis of what we have been up to. Bayley just completed swim team for the year. She is going to take the summer off which will be a good break for her and for me from the twice a week practices. She still loves swimming but it will be nice to do it in our own back yard. Speaking of our pool, I have been busy trying to open our pool for the year. Last year we had someone do it for us and he really didn't do anything. So this year I did the same thing the pool man did last year and we have had all kinds of issues. We've had equipment malfunctions, algae, a leak...but hopefully we are turning a corner and this will be the week that everything comes together and we can enjoy our pool for the rest of the summer. Bayley has just 13 more days of school, so we are definitely gearing up for our summer break. Kendal has been busy working on learning how to write her name. She can now write her first name after much prodding and after she made the statement "why couldn't her parents have given her an easier name to learn." She has one more year before she starts school, but I am trying to get her as prepared as possible. Trey is my busy boy who keeps me constantly on my toes. He is getting quicker and more skilled everyday, which makes my job harder and harder. He is a sweat boy who loves his big sisters. Jeff has been very busy with his new calling. I knew that the first little while would be crazy, but even as prepared as I was for the craziness....I still was not nearly prepared enough! He is doing a great job though and I know he is growing spiritually by leaps and bounds, which is helping me grow as well.

Kendal and I participated in the Look Alike Contest (we didn't win but it was fun)


Happy Birthday Grandma "G"

In that last couple of weeks we have also managed to make a couple of visits to Marietta to see Grandma "G" for her birthday and attend Spencer's baby dedication. We've also attended the Noble Street Bike Festival (where the girls participated in a bike race), participated in a mother/child look a like contest, gone to Six Flags, celebrated a birthday and spent a day at the lake enjoying our new toy! It's definitely been busy but fun! We look forward to another exciting week!

Six Flags...notice how much fun Bayley is having on this ride...kind of her attitude the whole day!

7 comments:

Vanessa Shannon said...

I love it! The snot thing would have to be my #1 you know your a mom when..... I swear I do it all the time and Im sure people see me and think....Ewwwwww! Nice to hear Im not alone! Hope you enjoyed your Mothers Day!

highdeekay said...

You know you are a mom when everyone in the house is sick (including you!) but you are the one who takes care of everyone.

Doreen Griffeth said...

You are a GREAT mom! I love seeing you in action. Thanks for all your support these last few weeks. We have loved seeing you more!
Love,
MOM G

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Oh man, you guys have been BUSY! Sounds like fun though. It makes me excited for Nate to get older so he can enjoy all of these fun activities!

For some reason, the snot thing doesn't bother me. I never seem to have a kleenex so it's always my hand! :)

I definitely hit the mom phase when being covered in food, spit-up/throw up, or slobber is just part of my wardrobe. :)

Alyssa Griffeth said...

WOW! You guys have sure crammed it all in the last few weeks! I totally understand though, because we love to be busy! Summer will be a nice break for your family.

You know you're a mom when you aren't able to shower until your husband gets home from work! It's pathetic, I know...But I must admit, it has happened a time or two for me! :-) I had to laugh at Grant a few weeks ago, because while we were at church, Olivia slobbered ALL over his nice tan suit. It left a HUGE mark on his shoulder which he wore proudly. He said, "what?!? I don't care! It's just part of being a dad!" Parenting sure makes us do crazy things!

Alyssa Griffeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

So Cute! You know you're a mom when....you take your kids to the store looking like orphans (and you don't care anymore) and rip open the first bag of goodies for them to munch on hoping they'll behave while you shop!
It's so fun to see what a great mom you are! Especially since we knew each other at such a different stage of life. I'm sure once or twice we saw a mom do something gross on one of our road trips, and I'm sure we all said, "We'll never do that!"
Ha Ha---little did any of us know!!!