Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Blogercial

So my previous post was a total "blogercial". A blogercial is a commercial in a blog. So you may ask, what was in it for me??? 50 free shutterfly cards...now I just have to get a decent family picture to use. That will be the hard part.

In other news:

We had an enjoyable Veteran's day. The girls had the day off of school so we did some fun activities to make the most of the time off. My recent new interest has become "secret shopping". I have always wanted to do something like that, but until recently had not been linked up with the right companies. A friend finally gave me some good referrals and I have been doing a couple a jobs a week. Most of them are easy and are catered around my schedule. Sometimes it backfires though and I am stressed trying to get a last minute job done. Some of the fun shops I've gotten to do include Quiznos, Five Guys and Fries, abercrombie, Gymboree, Sonic, Aldis, just to name a few. For Veteran's Day I was offered a shop to stay at a local Hampton Inn. I decided it would make for a fun evening for me and the kids, so I decided to give it a try. Since it is something we would never usually do, I didn't tell the kids and wanted to surprise them completely. So that evening I told them we were going to go out for dessert at the Cheesecake Factory, which was an extra special treat in and of itself. They were excited, but when they got there I told them it looked pretty crowded so maybe we could order our cheesecake to go and find somewhere a little more quiet and less crazy to eat it. I totally floored them when I said well why don't we go to a hotel close by. You should have seen their faces....it was definitely a is she serious look...I hope she is because that would be awesome. In the end it was a great surprise and we had a great time.

The following day we attended the largest Veteran's Day parade in the U.S. It was a perfect weather day and the kids had a lot of fun watching.




Today I was able to accompany Kendal on her field trip to the American Village. The field trip was a lot of fun as they got to re-enact the Pilgrims who came here on the Mayflower. She is such a funny girl. She so wants we to come and then she practically ignores me. If I didn't see her stealing glances to make sure I was there, I might feel offended.


Adison is growing up way too fast. In the last couple of weeks her personality has definitely evolved. She went from being completely attached to me and pretty much only me, to just about going to anyone at anytime except when she is tired. I think she figured out that she could see and do new things by hanging out with other people besides me. She recently took her first couple of steps, but definitely isn't a walker yet. I AM NOT in any hurry to have her running around here.






Finally, we made a quick trip to Georgia a couple of weeks ago. We had a fun-filled weekend with Grandma and Grandpa "G". As usual they had lots for us to do and we had a great time.

We are all excited about going to Indiana for Thanksgiving. It will be fun to hang out with Jeff's side of the family and spend time with them. The drive doesn't sound so fun, but fortunately we have pretty good travellers.

7 comments:

Vanessa Shannon said...

Sounds fun! Ive always thought it would be fun to get a hotel room for a night with the kids...especially if my house is messy and I want to run away, haha! You need to hook me up with info on that secret shopper deal. Ive always wanted to do those too but thought they were just scams! What is the company name, and do they have shoppers in all states?

Lindsay Griffeth said...

you just gave me hope that Ryan will leave me alone one day! I'm dying! :)

corrie said...

That is funny! I'll bet your kids think your are the 'funnest' mom around!
What a great treat.

Jeet Mehra said...

also you can get more Birmingham jobs here..

leigh and spencer said...

That's hilarious about the hotel thing, but I seriously bet they were pumped!! Adison is getting so big and lots more hair. Love it! We can't wait to see you guys again soon.

leigh and spencer said...

But seriously I don't know what's funnier, the hotel story, or the "blogercial" :)

Doreen Griffeth said...

It was fun having the Thorntons! I never knew how BLOND my hair looked! Yikes! You guys have got to tell me these things!
Love,
MOM G