Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pinky Style

I have been meaning to write a quick entry about some of the Thornton kid's latest accomplishments. Each of them have worked hard this summer to improve upon at least one skill.
Bayley has managed to continue to improve her reading skills....I can't keep books in the house. Some days she will read 2-3 Goosebumps (her favorite series at this point) books, which makes our weekly trip to the library a MUST.
Kendal has learned to ride her bike without training wheels. At the beginning of the summer she said that this was something she wanted to learn to do, however as a parent I wasn't quite sure how quick she would get it because of how cautious she is on a bike. It took her about a week and she had it. She LOVES her bike now and is increasingly getting more and more adventurous. The first week that she learned to ride her bike without training wheels we had Grandma G over at our house and she was so excited to show off. After a couple of laps back and forth to the culd-de-sac she decided to get BRAVE. She yelled up to me and my Mom, "Look I'm riding without pinkies!" as proud as can be with both pinkies in the air. It was so cute and so sincere...she now has graduated to riding one handed at moments!
Trey has also accomplished a goal we had set for him at the beginning of the summer...that is to learn to swim without floaties. I don't nor do I want him to swim without floaties very often, but I do like the assurance of knowing that he can swim to the side if he were to fall in without a float on or if he forgot his floaties and jumped in. He not only can swim to the side, but has become quite the little fish. I let him occasionally swim without his float when there is an adult in the pool and he does a pretty good job, however I continue to caution him that he needs his float because he does get tired easily.

I am glad that we did set some goals at the beginning of this summer and it has been fun to watch my kids work on their individual goals and accomplish them. Less than one month until school starts and we still have other stuff we plan to accomplish...we better get after it!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

That's awesome. Good for them. I'll have to try riding without my pinkies... tricky!

Doreen Griffeth said...

What fun kids! I have loved watching them grow this summer!
Way to go,Bayley, Kendal, and Trey!
Love,
Grandma G

corrie said...

awesome!
We were doing good on our goals then we've had tons of company...
I love Kendals brave pinky-less riding!

Vanessa Shannon said...

what a cute story about the pinky. Kids are such a crack up! Goals are such a good thing for kids to learn about young. Goal setting is an important factor in the success of just about anything a person does. Good for you for helping your kids learn something so valuable at such an early age!