Friday, September 12, 2008

Surgery Update and Other Weekly Highlights!

Sunday Picture

Bayley had surgery this morning to repair her displaced elbow. She was of course a bit nervous going into the surgery, but was a champ through the whole ordeal. She was able to have the surgery on an outpatient basis, so we were in there at 6:30 am and were discharged by 9:30 am...I've spent more time in the doctor's office for a routine visit, so I was very impressed. She now has two pins sticking out of her elbow and they will be there for the next 4 weeks. The doctor said that everything went great and that she should make a complete recovery. For now she is heavily medicated and relaxing. I had promised her if she was good we would make a stop by her favorite donut shop after surgery. I tried to talk her into to going through the drive-thru, but she insisted that she wanted to be able to see the selection before she picked. She was quite the sight as she walked into the donut shop...heavily medicate and looking like she just walked out of surgery...hence the crazy looks from everyone in the shop. But as good as she was through her surgery, I was willing to do anything to keep her happy at that point. She picked out her donut and we are now home where she is resting comfortably. I'm sure each day she will feel a little bit better, but the next couple of weeks are going to be tough on our active girl. Thanks for all of you concerns and prayers. Bayley and her infamous cartwheel about 30 minutes before her LAST cartwheel
In other Thornton Family news, Kendal had her first soccer game on Tuesday. She is so excited about soccer. I think she likes it as much for social reasons as for athletic reasons, but nonetheless she gets out there and plays. She is still trying to catch on to all of the concepts of the game...like the ball does not come to you, that you have to go get the ball, but she did have a moment of brilliance in her first game when she dribbled the ball half the field length then her teammate kicked the ball in! She was so excited! Between soccer and dance she is a busy girl and she loves it! Kendal ready for her soccer game
Trey is still our busy little guy. He still doesn't say a whole lot, but he usually finds a way to communicate what he wants. We do have some early intervention speech therapists coming today to evaluate him for speech delays. Hopefully they can give us some things to work on to improve his communication skills. I have to admit though, with two sisters who are great communicators and who love to talk, it is going to be hard for him to get a word in even when his speaking does come around. Trey and Kendal have a new favorite toy...thanks to some nice neighbors!
Jeff is still very busy with work and his church calling as branch president. He is doing a great job balancing it all! I know that Heavenly Father is blessing him and our family as he serves. Jeff is one awesome Dad!
As for me, I still try to run 4-5 times a week. I keep motivated by scheduling to run races with my sister-in-law Leigh. In October we are meeting in Georgia to run another 5K. It should be a lot of fun. Other than that, between church and kids I keep plenty busy. Life is good!

6 comments:

Vanessa Shannon said...

Good to hear everything went OK with the surgery...and that she got a doughnut afterwards...YUM. I hope she heals quickly. I sure hope I can run some races eventually. Right now I dont feel like I will ever be able to run more than a mile. Its killing me but I am pressing on!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I'm glad the surgery went well and that Bayley girl got her donut. Sounds yummy to me!

Doreen Griffeth said...

LONG week full of LIFE! You made it! Life is full and we are so grateful that everything went so well for Bayley!
Love,
MOM G

Natalie-John+2 said...

Seriously??? Are you kidding me? I cannot believe your interest in hanging out at the orthopedics office. Honestly, it would be less stress to just go back to school and become a nurse and work there!! :)
Seriously, I am so sorry to hear about her misfortune. It sounds like things are going in the right direction. Let me know if I can do anything. Hope to see you soon~
Natalie

Amy said...

we're glad everything went well. hope bayley heals nice and quick. :) just wanted to let you and the rest of your family(mom, dad,and brothers) know, we've got a blog now. it's www.jonandamybarlow.blogspot.com if you could help me out and pass that on to your fam that would be great! thanks! we love you guys.

Baxter's said...

I think your children are starting to sound like a real collegiate basketball team. Lots of "playing through" major injuries...surgeries...donuts...man alive! Craziness.